You Can Have My Job…Literally!

Posted by Harry Hertz, the Baldrige Cheermudgeon

As many people in the Baldrige community know, I will be retiring on June 3, 2013. It has been the most amazing and humbling 21 years that I have spent with all of you, and I certainly see this as a transition, not a good-bye. The Baldrige community and my Baldrige colleagues at NIST are the greatest group of people I have ever met. You are all family to me! I have learned so much from you, and we all have grown in our understanding of the definition of performance excellence. But there are still a few months before I am sure to get nostalgic.

Right now, we all want to recruit the best person to serve as the next Baldrige Program director. The job is anticipated to be officially posted for application on USAJOBS in mid-late March. To help in identifying potential candidates and to give members of the Baldrige community a chance to consider personal interests in applying for the job, a summary of the position description is now posted on the Baldrige Web site. The job is part of the Federal Senior Executive Service (SES). If you want to learn more about applying for SES jobs, there is a guide that you should read. If you are interested in being notified when the job is officially posted on USAJOBS, send your e-mail address to suzanne.sullivan@nist.gov.

Thank you all for your support over the 25-year history of the Baldrige Program and for considering being an even more important contributor to its future.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail
This entry was posted in Baldrige Director, Baldrige News, Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to You Can Have My Job…Literally!

1. Sheila Carmine says:

February 26, 2013 at 2:46 pm
    Please strongly emphasize to the new director that he/she does not encourage competing Baldrige awards in the same state as you have done. There is still animosity in Connecticut as well as no applications from our state in the last 15 years as far as I know. ASQ has never supported the Connecticut Quality Improvement Award, America’s first state award to use the Baldrige criteria. Connecticut could have been a stronger, active supporter of the Baldrige if CQIA had ever received strong national support.
    Mac Baldrige was from Connecticut.

• Harry “The Baldrige Cheermudgeon” says:

Sheila,
      I can’t speak for the next Director of the Baldrige Program, since that person is not identified yet. However, I can provide information about how the Baldrige Program does operate. The Baldrige Program does not encourage or discourage competing programs in any state. State programs come into being on their own and do not need approval, sanctioning, or certification from the Baldrige Program. Each state or regional program is independently incorporated, generally as a 501(c)3 nonprofit, by its leadership. Most of the programs now have joined the Alliance for Performance Excellence, which has established its own set of membership criteria, largely based on running a state award process that uses the Baldrige Criteria. We provide equal support to all members of the Alliance.

Over the history of the Baldrige Program, there have been numerous states with multiple award programs, but that is no longer the case, through a natural process of self selection.

Thanks for allowing me to explain the relationship between the Baldrige Program and state programs.
      Harry

2. joseph King Jr says:

Harry

Congrats on your retirement decision…I am sure our paths will cross.

Joe King

3. Steve Guns says:

Harry,

I know the entire Baldrige Community would agree with me when I say I am very sorry to see you retire (but happy for you) and that I am appreciative of the visionary and engaging leadership you have provided during your tenure. You have lead with passion and humility through some very challenging times, all the while making the program stronger and ever more relevant. You have every right to be proud of your accomplishments. You have made a difference, and in the end, that’s all most of us would like to be able to say about our careers.

Congratulations on your retirement.
    Steve Guns
    John Deere Financial

4. Keith E. Nelson says:

Harry –

Congrats on your decision to retire and be able to spend some “alone – me-time”. You will be missed. Your guidance for the entire Baldrige performance excellence community has been unsurpassed and your successor will have some mighty big shoes to fill. Thanks for being a part of us.

Keith E. Nelson
    Dept of the Air Force
    HQ AETC/A3Z

5. Anne Lara says:

Congratulations Harry!

6. Nancy Timmons says:

You will be missed, Harry. Happy retirement.

• Harry “The Baldrige Cheermudgeon” says:

Thanks to those of you who have offered good wishes through e-mail and the blog. I hope to see many of you before I retire in June!

7. Julia Gabaldon says:

Harry, congratulations! Wish you the very best! Look forward to congratulating you at Quest Conference in April. Thanks for your leadership and incredible commitment to the Baldrige Program. To be continued…

8. LeRoy Walser says:

Hey, retirement is not bad. Congratulations on a job well done! LeRoy Walser, Oklahoma